Georgia Baptist Disaster Relief
Disaster Relief is a ministry-based approach to impacting people for the Kingdom of God. Our motto of Serving Christ in Crisis has two implications:
- We serve Christ to those persons who are victims of disaster.
- When we minister to persons in need, we are serving Christ Himself (Matthew 25:40).
The goal of Disaster Relief is to provide some measure of normalcy for the victims of a disaster event.
We offer two opportunities for planning for disaster response:
- Individuals who want to serve as credentialed Disaster Relief volunteers need to attend a Phase 1 event. Click the Training tab above for a list of current training events.
- Churches who want basic information on how to minister during the time of a disaster can host a seminar on Family and Church Preparation. For more information please contact us…
Disasters provide many opportunities for believers to be the “hands and feet of Jesus”. Many people have a natural and emotional desire to help other people when tragedy strikes. In order to be the most effective, here are some thoughts to keep in mind:
- Attend one of our scheduled Phase 1 events. Click the Training tab above for a current listing.
- Find out where and how we are responding by clicking the Updates tab above.
- The best response is Prayer and Financial Support. Please refrain from collecting unsolicited items and please do not self deploy.
For those persons who want to learn about Disaster Relief to see if it is a ministry they would like to be part of. (Registration is required but there are no training fees. It’s FREE!) Recertification CANNOT be accomplished at this event.
At this credentialing session, you will receive an introduction to the ministry of Disaster Relief and an orientation to the ministry area of your choosing. Once you become a credentialed Disaster Relief volunteer, recertification is required every 3 years. Recertification can be accomplished at these trainings.
Phase 1 Schedule:
- 7:30-9:00 am: Check-in and ID Photo (Please arrive no later than 8:30 AM)
- 9:00 am-12:00 pm: Introduction to Disaster Relief/Recertification/International – Part 1
- 12:00-12:45 pm: Lunch (Provided)
- 12:45-3:45 pm: Orientation in Ministry Area/ International – Part 2
- 3:45-4:00 pm: Commissioning
2014 PHASE 1 TRAININGS:
MARCH 15, 2014: First Baptist Church Eastman, GA,
REGISTRATION HAS CLOSED. You can attend as a walk-in at a fee of $50 for 1st time training/cross-training/International Training or $30 for recertification.
No phone or fax registrations please.
SEPT 13, 2014: Piney Grove Baptist Church, Fortson, GA, Registration Deadline: Sept 5, 2014 Click here to register online through our NEW online registration for this training!
It’s a 3 step process:
- Create an InFellowship Login account which will send an activation email to the email you provide.
- Activate your InFellowship Login account by clicking the activation link in the email you receive.
- Register for the event.
OR . . . you can register for any of the current Phase 1 trainings by downloading and mailing in the registration form below:
FEES: Credentialing Training Fees if received by the registration deadline:
Phase 1=$40, Recertification = $20, Cross-training in another Ministry Area = $40.
Required every 3 years in your Primary Unit (ministry area) to remain an active volunteer. This can be accomplished by attending any of the Phase 1 trainings or by attending a Recertification Training hosted and scheduled by the leadership of the Primary Unit you are assigned to. Recertification in your Primary Unit will recertify you in all areas you are trained in.
Designed for volunteers who sense the Lord leading them to become involved in this ministry at a leadership level and prepares the Disaster Relief volunteer to serve as a Team Leader or fulfill some special role. Recertification CANNOT be accomplished at this event. (Training Fees = $35. Additional charges may apply.)
Chainsaw Schools begin at 8:00 AM on Friday morning with registration and conclude late Saturday afternoon. Phase 1 Training in Cleanup & Recovery is a prerequisite to attending Chainsaw School.
2014 CHAINSAW SCHOOLS:
March 28-29, 2014:
Brewton Parker College, Mt. Vernon, GA. Registration Deadline: March 21
April 11-12, 2014:
Lake Arrowhead Fire Station, Waleska, GA. Registration Deadline: April 4
Privacy and Refund Policy for Training Events:
Your information is held securely by the Fellowship One system. This information will remain private and will never be given away to third parties, other than to process your scheduled payments.
You can register and pay online for events by their registration deadline. Once a paid registration has been processed online, it cannot be cancelled online. If there are any problems or questions related to this, please contact the Disaster Relief office at 770-936-5254, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Disaster Relief, 6405 Sugarloaf Parkway, Duluth, GA 30097.
CURRENT DEPLOYMENT UPDATES:
No deployments at this time.
2014 DEPLOYMENT RESULTS – YTD
- 74 Gospel Presentations
- 4 Professions of Faith
- 592 Volunteer Days
- 3,433 Meals Prepared
- - Mudout Jobs Completed
- 120 Chainsaw Jobs Completed
- - Repair Jobs
- 9 Roofs Tarped
- - Children Cared For
- 212 Showers Completed
- - Laundry Loads
- - Communication Messages
- 267 Chaplaincy Contacts
- 2 Other Decisions
- 112 Ministry Contacts
- Hurricane Sandy Rebuild
Staten Island & Freeport NY, and Allenwood, NJ: NAMB will be the primary coordinator. Information and registration of teams can be done through the following link: www.namb.net/sandy.
- We anticipate having housing for as many as 150 volunteers per night available beginning May 1, 2013.
- Volunteers will be housed in large groups separated by gender. We will not be able to provide housing for individual groups, families or couples.
- Participants must have completed at least the 7th grade prior to arrival, or be at least 14 years of age. No one who has not completed at least the 7th grade will be permitted in the housing area or on worksites unless they are at least 14 years old.
- Teams must include at least one adult, aged 21 years or older of the same gender, for every five participants under 18 years of age. This means a team with 7 girls and 3 boys aged 14-17 must include at least 2 women and 1 man 21 years or older.
- A non-refundable registration fee of $15 per person will be required for each participant.
- $15 per person per night will be charged for housing and meals.
Most of the cleanup work has been completed, however there may be some tear out of flooded homes that teams could be asked to do. Other work we expect teams might take on includes:
- Dry wall installation and finish
- Ceramic tile, laminate, and hardwood floor installation
Groups interested in taking part in the Sandy Recovery Ministry should contact the coordinators at email@example.com.
2. Long Island, NY & New Jersey: NC Disaster Relief will be the primary coordinator.
- Contact: Gaylon Moss for general questions. Bill Layton for NJ and Tom Vannoy for NY.
- Primary Request: tear out and rebuild.
- Housing: you will be sleeping on the floor so bring sleeping bag and a cot or air mattress.
- Materials: will be provided.
- Meals: all meals are provided.
We’re looking for teams to go to Haiti and continue the partnership of Georgia Baptists in Leogane. Teams will be involved in Preaching, Teaching, Healing, and Building.
Organization: Baptists 4 Haiti a Georgia Baptist ministry
Contact Person: Roland Norris (912) 674-7649 Email Roland Norris
If you would like to donate to the Georgia Baptist ministry of Disaster relief, you can do so in the following ways:
To mail a donation, please make checks payable to Disaster Relief and mail to:
Disaster Relief Georgia Baptist Convention 6405 Sugarloaf Parkway Duluth, GA 30097
Visit our Disaster Relief eStore and order all you DR gear online!
Patches, belt buckles, tees, caps and much more!
Only VISA or MASTERCARD are accepted.
If paying by check, Please make checks payable to “DISASTER RELIEF”.
6405 Sugarloaf Parkway
Duluth, GA 30097
Click here to download the diagram for placement of Disaster Relief patches.
(All forms are provided in a PDF format and as a Word Document.)
- Community Assessment Form – Rev. 01/2014 (PDF Format)
- Community Assessment Form – Rev. 01/2014 (Word Document)
- Personal Information Form/PI Form – Rev. 01/06/2014 (PDF Format)
- Personal Information Form/PI Form – Rev. 01/06/2014 (Word Document)
UPDATE YOUR VOLUNTEER INFORMATION
CLICK HERE to update your personal information.